Monday, September 30, 2013

Grace - Personal Narrative



A Campout to Remember








Name: Grace Denson
Grade: 7th
Class: Composition
Date: September 30, 2013



     Camping is fun and can lead to new experiences. One of my most memorable campouts started with a gorgeous sunrise. “Isn’t it a beautiful morning?” I asked. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. By mid-morning there were a few small cumulus clouds, but nothing to worry about. We went to lunch and when we came out of the restaurant, there were more clouds, and they were a little darker. It wasn’t a big deal though, yet.

     My parents decided it might be a good time to go to the park. They wanted to run some energy off my siblings and I before going back to camp. Joseph yelled, “This is the best park EVER!!! 


     We had a lot of fun, but the clouds kept forming together and getting darker. After about an hour at the park, my Mom and Dad thought it might rain. Our campground had a swimming pool, so we went for a swim before the storm. “The water’s freezing cold!” I exclaimed. While we were swimming the clouds got darker and a chilling breeze began to blow.  After our swim, we got a snack and played horseshoes. “I won!” Katharine screamed. 


     As we were playing the wind got stronger, colder, and was blowing the storm right towards us! I could hear thunder too. It started far away but was rapidly becoming louder.“Hey guys, the storm’s coming towards us. We need to get back to camp. Now,” Dad said. We walked back to the campsite as quickly as possible. Katharine, Joseph, and I got into the car to stay out of the gusts of wind.  Soon it started sprinkling. The sprinkles turned to large raindrops. Katharine and I decided to get in our tent to get a new perspective and an interesting experience. The rain was coming down hard with a few deafening claps of thunder.  Lightning illuminated the cloudy sky. It was kind of exciting and scary all at the same time.

      After we ate dinner at “Taco Bell” and the rain had stopped, it was chilly. Dad and Joseph got to work building a warm fire. With some wood, kindling, and a fair amount of lighter fluid, we made a roaring fire. My family gathered around the campfire, talking and laughing.  It was a perfect ending to an exciting day.


No comments: